#ContactForm1 { display: none ! important; }

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Q&A: What If My Book Vanishes?

~ From the Email Inbox ~


Question: When these books become no longer available on Kindle, what does that mean for those of us who have bought them there? I've heard rumors of things disappearing off people's Kindles and am wondering as to the truth of them.
- A Worried Reader


Dear Worried Reader,

There is a persistent rumor that an ebook listed as Out Of Print and taken off the sales website will vanish from the e-reader. I've never had that happen, but I don't know if that means nothing I've bought has ever gone out of print, or if I don't sync my e-reader enough.

If you've bought one of my Breathless Press titles and you find it disappears during the next few weeks, email me. I'll send you a new copy for your permanent files. 

If you have access to a laptop or desktop computer there were ways of downloading your purchased ebooks to save. A quick Google search will give you instructions on how to save kindle files to a hard drive, and me some plausible deniability should such an action be illegal in the place where you keep commit this act of saving your rightfully purchased books. For the slightly more advanced computer aficionado you can also find ways to strip ebooks of DRM and side load Kindle purchases onto Nooks and vice versa. Which, again, might be illegal in some countries so check your laws and your conscience before reading a DRM-stripped book.

Remember: pay the author for the book. Purchase everything from a site that gives royalties to the authors. Praise is lovely but it won't pay the rent. Put money in the author's pocket because dead author's tell no tales. M'kay?

Being anti-DRM does not make me pro-starving author, pro-pirate, or pro-theft. :)



If you have questions my inbox is always open.
- Liana

No comments:

Post a Comment