#ContactForm1 { display: none ! important; }

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Let's Play Dress Up

While I was writing EVEN VILLAINS GO TO THE MOVIES I found myself rocking the classic t-shirt and jeans look on a daily basis. Not only do I love my denim, but my main character is a t-shirt and jeans kind of girl and it was easy to slip into the right frame of mind when I was matching her wardrobe.

This morning I put on business clothes, did my hair, put on jewelry, put on makeup... why? Because the heroine of my next book is a business woman who doesn't own jeans. Writing her while wearing a pair of cut-offs seems wrong somehow. Delilah, more than any other character I've written, is defined by her clothes. Everything she wears is chosen with a deliberate message, it's her armor and her safety blanket.

So, today I play dress up. I look like someone who has a corner office and important meetings. It's like Method Acting for authors.

What do you do to get in a character's head? Is there a food you only eat while writing, or a special playlist, or do you play dress up too?

1 comment:

  1. I prefer to take some time to lay back and picture the character doing something to get a sense of their personality, actions, mannerisms, speech, etc. It doesn't matter what I'm wearing or listening to as long as the music is fast paced.

    The most important thing I need is to be left alone when I'm writing, something which doesn't happen often enough. At least if I have been writing I'm able to read over the last few pages to get back the character's sense of identity and pick up from where I left off.

    ReplyDelete