#ContactForm1 { display: none ! important; }

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Lucky Seven Experiment

I get getting tagged by the Lucky 7 Meme that's going around. There's a limit to the number of times I can dodge this, so here you go. I'm going to do my Lucky Seven and, if you want to, you can do it too. I won't be tagging anyone (yes, I'm a spoilsport).

The rules to the Lucky Seven are as follows:
*Open the document for your current MS/WIP
*Go to page 7 or to page 77
*Go to line 7
*Copy the next 7 lines (sentences or paragraphs) and post them exactly as they are written. No changing or cheating!

My current project is JANE DOE, book one of the Jane series, and I do have 77 pages. I single-space my work while I'm writing, so this is page 77 of 194, or about 1/3 of the way through the book. The main characters Sam (FMC) and Mac (MMC) are talking...

MacKenzie jerked away from her reaching hand.

She focused on the glass. He was still clutching it, grinding the glass into his palm. Mother Mary have mercy. "You need a hospital."

"No. More. Pills!" MacKenzie stood up and threw the glass at the sink, she could see shards sticking out of the padded flesh of his thumb.

"MacKenzie. Agent MacKenzie? Linsey?" He jumped visibly when she used his first name, like a beaten man, or a whipped one.

The usefulness of a meme like this (and probably the original purpose) is to check for action. You should be able to flip to any page of a book and find conflict. Good books will have something moving the plot along on every page, rough drafts won't. I'll let you decide for yourself where this is in the editing process.

No comments:

Post a Comment