#ContactForm1 { display: none ! important; }

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The Great Debate...

... and I don't mean the presidential election. We voted absentee and I'm staying away from the news until tomorrow when someone announces the winner. I just don't want to know about it.

No, my great debate is this. I sent Published Author off to a well known magazine that said submission time was no more than 70 days (10 weeks). If you didn't hear from them within that time frame, please resubmit.

Today is Day 70. I'm eyeing my in-box with wonder and dread. Will they answer? Will the e-mail come? Will they love my story?

And, if they don't e-mail me, what then? One thing I don't love about this magazine is they don't take simultaneous submissions. I think it would be a good fit. On the sliding scale of 1-10 I'd say this magazine with this story is an 8.3. Not a perfect 10, but a solid score. Do I resubmit to the magazine if they didn't get the first submission and wait another 70 days? Or do I go find somewhere else to submit?



  1. Tough choices.

    *stabs stupid rules*

    I'd compile a list of places that do let you shop around that would also be a good fit. Once you hear back from them , if they haven't accepted (the fools!) then maybe try back with this place.

    Or, you could always hand deliver it to make sure they got it. ;)

  2. Mwhahaha.... no. Hand delivery isn't an option. You'd be amazed how many publishers there AREN'T back here in the boondocks.

  3. In this case, it is perfectly acceptable to contact them and ask. Their time is gone, and you have a right to send your work to another place if they don't want it. But you need to contact them to ask them what their decision is.

    They will understand. They have to! They can't expect you to wait around FOREVER when you could be sending the work elsewhere.

    I've read about this situation somewhere else, and that was the answer - to contact agent/editor/publisher when their end of the bargain is up and they haven't followed through.

    Might not be what you want to do, but that's my advice. :)

  4. I would send a status query asking if they received it, too. If they expect you to abide by no SS, then they have to respect that you need a word from them before putting your work on hold to them for another 70 days. *stabs stupid rules with Windsong*

  5. Ack! Never a good idea to read when 9/5 asleep! I thought you said 'stab stupid rules THROUGH windsong!

  6. Yes. In this instance, you wait another day or two (or a week, if you can handle it), and you send them a polite email, stating that you submitted story X to them on Y date, and you'd like to know what the status of it is...


    Luck, and *patience cookies* :)