#ContactForm1 { display: none ! important; }

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Putting off today.....

Some days are just terrible. I want to use a stronger word but I might melt my computer, it's old and not used to strong language.

Do you know what a new lap top costs??? Far to much that's how much. But after the lap top ate a few pages of my latest work in progress causing me to throw a conniption fit it was decided that the four-year old lap top was getting retired. The new one will be arriving with wireless internet and virus protection installed tomorrow or Saturday.

Yippy.

I hope Vista interfaces with Windows XP because all my projects are currently on the old version of word and if I can't get them to chit-chat that computer is going back and I'll learn how to fix a four-year old computer if it takes a sledge hammer and firelighters.

As for writing.....

It's the 14th (Happy Valentine's Day for those who celebrate) and since the first I've written 30,000 words. Several thousand will be tossed out in editing, but right now I need to add at least 5,000 of description.

My first drafts are terrible, I'm sure I've mentioned that, and this one is no exception. I know what's missing this time though, so that's a sign of progress. My big problem is that I have pages of dailoge with no emotion, action, or tags of any kind. Just floating words on the page. Before this book hits the beta-readers for a plot-check I have to fix the floating words.

The good news is that I know what's wrong here, I understand the problem, and that means I can fix it.

The bad news is that it's 9:30 at night and I haven't written all day because I have relatives in town and school parties and a host of other Real Life details that needed attention.

I don't see this ever changing though. Writing will always be something that fits around the cracks of Real Life. I'll always have to Mom. I'll always have to shuttle relatives around when they visit. I'll need to eat, clean, socialize, so writing will always be pushed off to do when everything else is done. Writing is important, especially if you intend to publish, but I don't have the luxury of writing at the exclusion of all else.

No comments:

Post a Comment