#ContactForm1 { display: none ! important; }

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Tuesday Morning

Well, I've added almost 5000 words to the major WIP.

I'm not sure if this is good or bad. But I'm slowly inching my way to the half-way point....

For those who are wondering how pages vs word count works...
500 words = 1 page, single spaced, size 12 TNR

The average trade paper back has between 250 and 355 words (yes I did count)

For sci-fi and fantasy the standard word count length of a novel is between 80,000 and 120,000 with most debut novels on the low end. To get a debut novel that is not on the low end you must be very, very good. The thinner novels sell better and get your name out there.

That said, the novel I'm working on isn't going to be a debut novel. First draft will be around 80,000 words. But it's the bare bones stage and I know I'm adding more. I'm plotting and planning to add more once the first draft is done. I write the first draft, fine.... but I look back a week later and there's so much more to say! To refine!

This isn't the first book I've written and completed, but my debut novel is yet to be written. Does that make sense?

No comments:

Post a Comment