#ContactForm1 { display: none ! important; }

Monday, February 15, 2016

Apparently, Writing Books Is Hard

Saturday night I sent a lament to my crit-partner-in-crime whining about how very, very hard it was to write this book. I was frustrated, and stuck, and questioning every choice I'd ever made. All I wanted was some soothing reassurance that I could actually write a book.

This is what I got in return:

Do I need to pull out the almost-verbatim emails you sent me at this point in the Convergence Point draft? Breathe. This is a normal part of the process. It sucks, it hurts, and it threatens to pull you under, but you CAN do this, because you've done it before. Trust me. This is EXACTLY where you were at this point last time. 


Apparently I do this all the time.

I'm not the only one either. A Very Famous Author shared a similar anecdote where s/he'd written their agent a similar lament and received the reply, "Oh, so you're at that part of the book?"

Writing is hard. It doesn't get easier with time because every book is different. Every time you write something, it feels like the first time. It's stressful, cringe-worthy, and frustrating. You will seriously consider giving up writing to sell shoes. And that's okay.

Keep writing and eventually the book will be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment