#ContactForm1 { display: none ! important; }

Monday, December 28, 2015

2015 In Review

Words Written: 216,000 (not including December)
Words Edited: 1,088,000 (not including December)
Novels Published: 2
Novellas Published: 2
Best Writing Month: July
Best Editing Month: September
Most Words Written In One Day: 6,000
Average Daily Word Count: 646 Words

Overall, not a bad year.

I wrote a little less in 2015, mostly due to the moving slump that made writing in January and February difficult, but even then my daily word count was pretty low during the school year. I wrote a lot more over the summer. My editing was higher when my manuscript was bouncing between my editor and me, which is normal.

Was 2015 a great year? I wouldn't say great. It was good in terms of publishing, especially after 2014 where I did all the writing and none of the publishing. But there's room for improvement. An extra 400 words a day would have netted me another 133,000 words over the course of the year (which would be another novel after editing).

Word to the wise... that scary high editing number comes from editing two novels this year. If you do not love a book enough to read it thirty times, you don't love the book enough to publish it.

The highlight of my year wasn't book related, it was seeing the first images of Pluto arrive from New Horizons. I'm a little but in love with the dwarf planet with a big heart.

We still have a few days left in December, but I've already flipped my calendar over. I'm working on projects for 2016, counting down to deadlines, and penciling in publication dates. In a year's time I hope to announce the sale of a new series; finishing the Time & Shadows series strong and getting a new universe out are my big goals. I'll also be continuing the Heroes & Villains series, and writing a few short stories throughout the year.

What are your big goals for 2016? 

No comments:

Post a Comment