#ContactForm1 { display: none ! important; }

Friday, September 19, 2014

A Novel Way To Edit

Do you know what my least favorite part of writing a report was as a kid? Writing the bibliography. It was tedious, and dull, and I never knew where to stop with the commas. And apparently I'm not the only one who felt this way because some smarty pants out there went and wrote a website called EasyBib.com where you enter a URL and it writes the bibliography for you. You can enter a book's ISBN number or title and get the bibliography.

Seriously, my kid showed this to me and I turned green with envy!

That isn't the only fun trick she's learned at school. Modern age editing for 6th graders includes a crash course in Google Translate. Eldest's teacher has them put their paragraphs into the Google Translate, set it on English, and see if GT thinks they're missing any words.

This isn't the most sophisticated way to edit a story, and it's not the end all and be all of editing, but if you want a quick check, Google Translate isn't a bad way to go. At least you'll know you're writing as well as a 6th grader.

No comments:

Post a Comment