#ContactForm1 { display: none ! important; }

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

A Strange Sort of Bribe

Patience is a virtue, and not one I was born with. I'd like to say that it's the overachiever in me that demands everything be done early, but really it's just my inner toddler demanding attention.

Under normal circumstances my impatience can be tempered by any number of things, like the threat of a large speeding fine if I try to qualify for the Indy 500 down Main Street, but when it comes to my health... Let's just say that I am not an ideal patient. I love Grumble Bunny to pieces, but recovery from a c-section is nothing like recovery from a normal labor and delivery.

I won't bore you with details, but two months into recovery and I over did things enough that I'm back on bed rest for a week (trying to rearrange furniture was not a good idea). The problem is that I *want* to work out. My six month stay in South Carolina turned me into a gym junkie, and I miss working out.

I want to workout, but I can't. I need to write, but I'm floundering. So I put the two together and set up the strangest self-bribe an author has ever had. The more I write, the more I get to work out!

Here's my bribe schedule (you can hold me accountable and keep me from running myself back into a hospital stay):

- Finish this draft of JANE DOE and give to the critters: allowed to do Baby & Me workout plus walk in the evenings (no running)

- Finish rough draft of H&V Book 2: add light yoga

- Finish rough drafts of RAGE: start Couch to 5k workout plan

- Send any novella to my editor: start Cough to Tough Mudder workout plan

- Query JANE DOE: buy my Bodypump at home weight lifting equipment


My fitness goals include being able to bench press my heaviest child (Eldest weighs around 50 pounds). I only got as far as Bambino's weight in South Carolina, so that's a long-term goal. I'd also like to be in shape for the Tough Mudder in December, although I don't know if I'll have a chance to run it.

I know finishing JANE DOE will get me through my week of mandatory bed rest, and rough drafts will take another month or so more. That will give my body time to recover and make me feel productive, an all around win, wouldn't you say?

One more thing! If you'd be interested in training for or running the Tough Mudder with me, that'd be awesome. There's an event in Tampa in December, or October 2013 in my area (but I'll probably have moved by then).

No comments:

Post a Comment