#ContactForm1 { display: none ! important; }

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Survivial Training

Repeat after me: Rough drafts happen.

Do not quit because the writing is rough.

Do not quit because the plot is flawed.

Do not quit because someone's published work that they spent 10 years writing is better than the story you've worked on for 2 years.

Do not quit because of a rejection letter.

Do not quit because you got a rejection and your friend just signed with an agent.

Do not quit because the lady at the grocery store rolled her eyes and asked what you *really* do for a job.

Do not quit because people tell you it's hard.

Do not quit writing.

Editing is trench warfare. People die out there. Don't be that guy.

8 comments:

  1. This reminds me of my favorite quotes by Ray Bradbury: “You fail only if you stop writing.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. loved your post. very passionate, lianna. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, L! I love this. I need to print this up and hang it above my computer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. super inspirational post, thanks. It's true...our journey is ours and we do a great disservice to ourselves when we mistake our path for someone else's. That goes for writing and for life in general.

    ReplyDelete
  5. *looks through hole gaping in abdominal region*
    But, Sarge . . . :p

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just found your blog, Liana, and devoured all your Editing Warfare posts. They are all wonderfully informative and make me excited to pull out a novel or two I started but gave up on because of editing while the work was still in progress so I can put your tips into practice and get going again. Thank you so much for sharing the editing process particularly this Survival Training. It is exactly what I need to hear right now.

    Congrats on the new baby!

    ReplyDelete