#ContactForm1 { display: none ! important; }

Friday, February 27, 2015

Farewell, Leonard Nimoy.

Leonard Nimoy, Mr. Spock from the Star Trek series, has been a fixture in my life since birth. The original Star Trek had been off the air more than a decade at the time of my birth, but the reruns were a fixture of lazy Sunday afternoons and The Next Generation was watched religiously every Friday once it started airing.

One of the first movies I saw at home on our brand new color TV was Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home where Captain Kirk and crew went to rescue the whales.

I had a Mr. Spock action figure before I had a Barbie or She-ra.

To say Leonard Nimoy had a small influence on my life would be as great an understatement as saying I kind of liked Tolkien as a child (I was obsessed with Tolkien as a child and never really outgrew it. Ask me about Leaf By Niggle if you don't believe me.). And so it is with a heavy heart that I learned of Leonard Nimoy's passing this morning. Eighty-three wonderful years, and it doesn't seem like enough.

I've been told Vulcan mourning tradition teaches us not to mourn a death unless the life was wasted, and Mr. Nimoy's life certainly wasn't. So I'm going to go read his poetry (some of which he liked to share on Twitter), and then watch all the old Star Trek movies. It's a proper tribute to a man who gave the world so much joy and wisdom.

1 comment:

  1. I've pointed out to people that we don't actually mourn the person's death. We really mourn our loss of the person in our lives. That's why I want a good old Irish wake when I go. I want people to celebrate my life and having known me and to remember the funny and bad times as well as the good. Star Trek was a large part of my life. I actually first started watching it when I was in my teens and it was all reruns. I was happy to find a man who was also a Star Trek fan for my hubby. We also watched other shows and movies that Leonard Nimoy and other cast members from Star Trek were in, usually because one of them was in it first then because of the interest we had in the shows afterward.
    It's hard to believe he was 83 because he never seemed to be that old. He will certainly be missed.

    ReplyDelete