#ContactForm1 { display: none ! important; }

Monday, November 24, 2014

Checking In

I feel like I've been neglecting the blog this past week or so. Possibly the past month or so... Um. I'm sorry about that.

If you're a long time blog reader you know how mentally taxing these moves of ours get. If you don't, well, imagine moving cross country and then picking up and doing it again ten months later. Half the things aren't unpacked, you don't know where holiday decorations are, your budget is down to the penny-counting stage because moves are not cheap, and everyone you know is questioning your sanity.

Seriously, as much as I love traveling and going new places, I don't like the associated bits of moving every year. We rent, because buying a house would take longer than we're often in any given city, and securing a home often means we're paying three months worth of rent at least once a year. In this case we're doing that twice. That's the last month of rent on the current house, first month's rent on the one we're moving into, and the security deposit which is equal to one month's rent, plus the pet deposit so my lazy dog can sleep and drool on the carpet.

Twice a year.

On top of that we're scaling back. I'm still not happy with letting the minivan go, but what can you do? Sometimes an old car has to be retired.

Then there's choir concerts, band concerts, holiday parties, school gift exchanges, the PTA-organized presents for teachers, work parties, university graduation, and the great-grandparents on the phone asking if the baby would like a onesie that says "MeeMaw's Princess" and would a size 3-6 month be appropriate?

Which, of course, only serves to remind the Very Busy Parent that the "baby's" birthday is in eight weeks and while you can safely skip holiday presents because you'll be in a hotel or traveling over every winter holiday known to man you will not be traveling for the baby's 3rd birthday and baby likes cake. Thankyouverymuch.

And then someone reminded me I have edits for two books due and two new stories due and, by the by, when is that Scottish UF going to be finished?

Excuse me while I hide from reality.



No comments:

Post a Comment