#ContactForm1 { display: none ! important; }

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Got Science?

It's May, and you know what that means... prep for summer school! Can't you just hear the children cringing in terror?

Every summer I spend the eleven weeks of summer trying to teach my children everything they've missed by attending a public school: science, art, history, geography, math, reading, basic research skills... *ahem* Yes, I might be slightly underwhelmed by the current curriculum that focuses on how to take a standardized test, but that's a rant for another day.

Right now I am up to my eyeballs in rough drafts and lesson plans. The work load means blogging either gets done in advance, or it doesn't get done at all. I don't have time to blog every day as the spirit takes me (sorry). I'm setting up three blog posts a week, including the Science-Fiction and Fantasy Saturday posts.

Science questions are much easier to answer than finding spur of the moment interesting things to say, so, hit me! Do you have a science question? Is there some element of sci-fi you want explained? Do you want to create something for your book, but you aren't quite sure of the science behind it? Leave me a note in the comments, or send me an email, and I'll pick the best as weekly Science In Fiction posts.

2 comments:

  1. I don't have a science question, but as a former teacher and new parent, I think everyday is a good day to rant about the absurdity of standardized testing and the way they're ruining public education under the guise of saving it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a fantastic thought... I'm going to have to ponder this. I'm pretty sure I've kept up enough on Cern research to do justice to the Higgs particle in my next novel (at least to the extent that that allows me to jump into fantasy!), but all of that sub-atomic science fascinates me. Or anything astronomical. I keep seeing pics of newly discovered planets and wondering what the reality of life would be in a gas giant (thinking McCaffrey's trip to one of those in her Brain/Brawn series). Or being on a planet in a binary system. Just the speculation is enough to generate novel ideas for me... ;) Something a little firmer to ground that in would be *lovely* though...

      Delete