#ContactForm1 { display: none ! important; }

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Derailed

Ever have one of those days where all of your big plans are derailed? Where everything on your to-do list went ignored?

Welcome to my day.

All my big plans for cleaning house, finishing my bookcase (yes, I'm still working on that), writing, and editing were tossed out the window when a friend stopped by for breakfast.

After all, which is better, homemade pumpkin muffins or mopping floors?

Days, like plots, can run off the rails. I can't go back an edit my morning. I wouldn't want to! I laughed, I joked, I found someone willing to adopt my fish when we move... That's the thing about life, it doesn't have to be perfect.

You're allowed to have tangents in life that any editor would throw out with the first draft. Not every moment must be rife with conflict. Slow days are fine, slow chapters aren't. So take a deep breath, let the to-do list float on the breeze, and stop trying to compete with your MC's stress levels. Slow pacing is only bad when you're on a deadline.

1 comment:

  1. I know precisely what you mean. It's usually my own fault, though.

    ReplyDelete