#ContactForm1 { display: none ! important; }

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Twilight Candy

Tuesday was payday and I ventured out to fight the hordes of hungry natives for food so I could restock our sad little pantry. If there is ever a major break down of social order my family will have to live off of ramon noodles.... for the whole three meals they will last. Anyways, off topic...

I went to the store and the Halloween candy is out. It's good to know the candy manufacturers and dentists will not be suffering from the current economic issues. And neither will Stephanie Meyer. There was Twilight candy out. I mean, sure it makes sense. Vampire +sparkle + Halloween = candy. I can see that.

And I admit, I needed to pause for a moment and consider just how I felt about Twilight candy.

You know what I decided? That's pretty cool.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Twilight convert. I'm not into YA, sparkly vamps don't get my attention, I hate broody males, and High School? Yeah, I'd rather forget it. But I think it's cool that Miss Meyers took her idea and ran with it. That she was willing to suffer through rough drafts, editing, query letters, and rejections to get to the point where her book now sells candy!

Someone once told me jealousy was a form of pride. They were right. It's very easy to be jealous of other authors, especially the successful ones. It's easy to say nasty things, rip apart their manuscripts, and poo-poo the movies. After all, every writer knows in their heart of hearts that They Are The Best. No one could withstand the rejection letters that flood in with every submission if the didn't have enough ego to bolster them until the single elusive request comes in.

But ripping apart another author won't get you published. And it really is cool that people love reading so much that a book can market candy.

I love that!

Why? Because it means there are readers out there. I need readers. YOU need readers. If you have publication in your future plans at all the very thought of rapid readers stalking the night ought to make you jump for joy. All those people buying Twilight candy are your future victims.

Yes, okay, you might have to convert them away from their sparkly vamp obsession. But no worries. That's why you have a Page One that will not just grab attention but jump out of the book, slam potential readers against the wall, and force feed them your first chapter while stealing their wallet. You know, an aggressive opening. Any Page One that can steal your wallet can certainly persuade people to forget sparkly vamps. Or blackmail them, whatever.

So next time a friend announces they have a full request, or a cool idea, or a two book contract with your favorite publishing house cheer them on. They're paving the way for your grand debut and lining up readers for you to attack.

Not to mention the added bonus of adding fresh meat to the TBR pile. I'll throw a party for anyone who tells me they have a new Sci-fi book coming out. My TBR pile is currently very low and in need of an infusion of fresh blood.

Now... go write people!

7 comments:

  1. I'd love a first page that could slam me to the wall and steal my wallet! I really like your attitude about being happy for others who succeed. I'm right with you cheering them along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am jealous that your blog has more followers than mine! Beyond being jealous of successful writers (guilty) I'm also mad at some of them -- Stephen King, James Patterson, John Grisham. Don't these guys have enough money already? Stop writing and leave some room for the (more deserving) rest of us!

    www.thebiglitowski.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I think it is human to have an initial reaction of jealousy, but I hope most of us end up being happy for our successful fellow writers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool post, Twinerous One :)

    Mm, candy...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great attitude - and a great post! But you've made me hungry for candy at 5:44 a.m., so I don't appreciate that. ;-D Seriously, your point about the practical and moral problems with jealousy are very astute.

    I do have to wonder if Twilight, Harry Potter, and other book phenoms really do translate into more readers generally. I ask this only because of the film/marketing aspect (as seen by the candy). My sister, for example, loved the Twilight series, loves the films, loves Stephanie Meyer. She did actually read Meyer's non-Twilight book (The Host), but to my knowledge, she's not going out and reading regularly now. She's a busy mom of two little girls, so I suppose that's part of the issue. I wonder if there have been any studies or signs that teens who've read one of these series read more generally?

    ReplyDelete
  7. CLK- I'm convinced good YA books are just gateway drugs to every other genre. There are only so many HP and Twilight books. Eventually they run out, or the reader out grows them. But they never forget how good it felt to lose themselves in a book.

    The addiction remains. They may not feed it often, but it's there. And then they see a book that catches their eye and off they go again!

    As a book addict myself I can promise that once you get a person to enjoy reading it's a very hard habit to break.

    ReplyDelete