#ContactForm1 { display: none ! important; }

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Letters

Dear Liana,

My dream agent, [name redacted], is perfect. I love all the books she represents. I'm a huge fan of her other authors. And I adore her blog. I'm getting ready to query but my dream agent's website says she isn't looking for this genre right now.

Do I wait for her to come around? Or do I send the query? I know she'll love it!

Bests,
Dreaming in L.A.




Dear Dreaming,

Find a new dream agent.

Seriously, if you query for something the agent doesn't rep it's only an insta-rejection. You could try waiting. But if your novel is polished and ready to roll than I say go find someone else to love.

Your only other serious option is to tuck this finished manuscript in a drawer and write a book that suits your dream agents wish list. But if it isn't what you love to write, the manuscript won't sparkle. And so you'll have written your way to rejection again.

If you don't know where else to look for an agent try:
Publishers Marketplace
Agentquery

Or ask around in your writing group.

Trust me, finding a new dream agent is your best bet.

Good luck!
L.B.

2 comments:

  1. Yup! The agent you want to be with, might not end up being the one to represent you.

    ReplyDelete